A sales attitude is required to create better market share and more business. When you look at the average sales team, there is a significant difference between all members of the team and on that basis they will need to be individually managed and encouraged.
There are many different performance models available for sales team analysis. Essentially there is one of the clear fact that is common to all. Some salespeople are good on building relationships with customers and people generally; other salespeople will be good at closing the deal then moving on. For this reason it pays to have a variety of a good salespeople of both types in your team.
It is a notable fact that these two types of sales characters are distinctly different and approach prospecting and selling from different angles. Your sales manager or team leader is likely to be one of these characters; they will not normally relate to the other sales character well at all. That will then alienate and frustrate the other part of your sales team.
This is where the team leader needs to carefully manage the two different sales styles regardless of their personal selling style or bias.
Here are some other tips that can apply to the establishment of a solid sales attitude within the business team:
- Prospecting for new business should be the number one event in every sales person’s diary each business day. There is simply no excuse for not prospecting. A good sales team is built on business generation and not order taking.
- Customer contact and customer service follows as a close second to the prospecting process. In this economic environment, customers need to be encouraged and nurtured through the sales cycle.
- There is a real difference between ordinary customers and key accounts. Importantly, your business and your sales team needs to differentiate between the two and service them differently.
- Every salesperson should be responsible for filling and maintaining their sales pipeline. Over time the pipeline should be growing in your prospects, customers, and quality of sales.
- You will need a good customer relationship management (CRM) software program to help with your sales pipeline. In only this way can you track the relationships with suspects, prospects, and clients. The selection of software for your business will normally be based on the product or service type, and the contact methods that you use. Also give some due regard to the ongoing customer interaction and the other departments in your business that will be contacting the same customer over time. Every stage of the customer contact cycle needs to be entered into the CRM system.
As a final note, your best salesperson should never be promoted to the level of sales manager. There is a lot of difference between managing salespeople and achieving results.
The best salespeople do not normally make good sales managers as they simply cannot explain their methods to the sales team and encourage the right type of action to be taken.
Good sales management is a very specific process requiring a very skilled professional that understands your business.