When it comes to developing a sales team there are some real challenges in getting old habits out of the way and new patterns of work established. Old habits in a sales team take significant effort to reprogram and reposition. That is the job of the Sales Manager or Team Leader.
Many salespeople may not feel that they have a performance problem and they have been doing the same good things for years. ‘So why should they do something new’, they say. With limited thinking and old habits, a business will go nowhere fast.
The reality of the matter is that many sales teams need to adjust their focus and their actions regularly. The selling season is real and unique to all product types, customers and services. The selling team just have to adjust.
So what are the key issues in the selling season for your business? Try some of these:
- Lead time for the orders for your clients
- Supply of goods from your main factory or central supply source
- Pressures on your clients manufacturing or supply
- Economic changes in the regional or local economy
- Changes to infrastructure
- Changes to transport and delivery corridors
- Impact on technology for you and your clients
An open and questioning mind will help your sales team adjust to the aspects of the market and the clients business. The market and technology is changing so fast that the market and your business this year will not be the same next year. Help your client move through this change.
Improve your services to all of your clients in small increments; that will allow you to consolidate the change in a meaningful way.