When it comes to your career in commercial real estate agency, you will sometimes feel the pressure of the market and the industry. It is very easy to panic when you have no listings and or commission coming in. Here are some tips from our Newsletter.
There is no point in panicking when it comes to your job and your market share. If you feel the pressure of listings and commissions, it is simply a matter of developing a prospecting system and actioning it every day. Over about three or four weeks, you will soon see the market turn more favorably back towards you.
One of the biggest problems in our industry is consistency on the part of the salesperson to build market share. Each and every day top agents work towards consistency and systemized prospecting; you should do the same.
Success in our industry is largely created through ongoing personal contact with the correct people that matter in our industry. Over time those relationships build listing opportunity and better market share.
If you feel some degree of panic when it comes to your market share, listings, and commissions, it is time to establish a system to take yourself forward and out of the difficulty. Momentum and action taken immediately will help you lessen the frustration and panic you currently feel.
When you start moving towards a plan, and you stick to the process, you will soon see that the magnitude of the original problem was not as great as originally thought. You are in control, and you can resolve any pressures that you currently have. It is simply a matter of modifying your choices and habits. Systemize your day; that is the secret to progress.
Here are some ideas to help you move forward with this and build a better market share over the next 12 months.
- It is extremely important that you control your time on a daily basis. You are the only person that can do this. There will be demands on you from business colleagues, clients, the agency principal, and others that can destabilize your focus on a daily basis. Keep things simple. Understand what you must do every day, and do it regardless of any pressure from others. Take control of your time. Set aside the time that is required to do the key things to take you forward. Most particularly that will be prospecting and you should do that for approximately 2 or 3 hours per day.
- Start building relationships with the right people in your industry. Have a look around the local area so you can make contact with business leaders, property owners, and property investors. In the right market you can also add property developers to the list.
- It is a well-known fact that the degree, to which you believe you are in control, is the degree to which you will be successful. Successful people are in control each and every day. They make the right choices and take the right actions. They will not waste time with the wrong people or wrong circumstances.
The commercial real estate industry is one of the most rewarding and challenging of sales careers. You can meet some great people and earn a lot of money in the process. All of that being said, you really do need to selectively choose your actions and your key tasks each and every day. This is part of an ongoing personal marketing process.
You can get more tips like this in our Newsletter.
In commercial real estate the prospects and clients that we serve are quick to judge you. They will judge you by what you do and what you say. They will also judge you on what you do not do. For this reason it pays for you to be absolutely focused on positive connection and communication with all the people in your database and your client records. Systems and relevance will help you with all your connections and leads. Here are some tips from our Newsletter.
Relationships Are the Key
The main reason we win listings is through relationships. Those relationships are with the right people locally. Commercial real estate agency is built around the trust that you establish with landlords, tenants, business leaders, and property investors.
I was recently talking with a fellow agent that was just moving from residential property into commercial property. The question he raised was ‘How do you establish your database and client base?’ The fact of the matter is that a system is required to take you forward as an agent in your local territory. Without a system of client contact your career will go up and down like a roller coaster.
Don’t make things hard on yourself with listings and commissions. You have chosen a career of massive opportunity; you just need to the required focus and momentum. Start today to deal with the contacts and database that you require. Expect that the process will take time, but the results will come.
Here are some ideas to help you deal with the leads and prospect list that you require.
- Business leaders will be a good source of business in one form or another. They may own or lease the premises that they are in; either way you can help them. Business owners and leaders are easy to find given that you can use the telephone book and door knock on a few business doors. These people are the easiest to network with and make contact. You should be talking to 20 business people per day. Ask the right questions and you will get some valuable information that you can do something with.
- Property investors will come to you from other marketing efforts, or perhaps the branding and marketing of your office or agency. Get to know these people and the type of help that they require. As a local investor they like to work with agents that really know the local area and how to tap into the deals. Even in the toughest of property markets there will always be property investors looking for good quality property or tenants.
- Property developers come and go from the market based on the supply and demand for leased space and property ownership. You can get good property business from them, however they require understanding and they should not be trusted until you have their name on a valid appointment to act. Property developers are very good at using agents without paying fees. Don’t fall into the trap of service without fees.
With these three groups of people you can develop your lead generation system and market share. Prospect into these groups every day; soon you will see your leads grow and the listing opportunity open up.
You can get more tips for commercial real estate agents in our Newsletter.
In this commercial real estate market today you must have a database to capture all of the contact detail that you create each and every day. Over time you will come to know or meet many hundreds of people. The more of those that you know on a personal level the better it will be for you as a ‘top agent’.
Here are some tips from our Newsletter….
In saying all of this I am a great believer in the fact that the database that you use should be personally managed. That means that you enter the data and access the database every time you have your meetings or make your calls. The information that you collect and load about your contacts must be accurate and up to date. This will only be achieved if you take ownership of the process.
Here are some tips to establishing the data about all of your contacts and clients:
- Constant contact is a very important part of the process. Every person in the database should be contacted at least once every 90 days without fail. For those people that are more active and relevant to the property market currently, you should be speaking to them every 30 days. When you do your numbers and base it on your working hours in the office, you will soon see that commitment to the process must be systemised.
- Most of your data entry can occur as you talk on the telephone, whilst other information can be entered at the end of the day when you have more ‘free time’.
- Split all of your data into groups. They will usually be vendors, purchasers, property investors, tenants, business owners, and property professionals. Those groups will then need to be split into property needs, prices, rents, areas, and timing. Not all software will do that for you; however choose the best package that you can afford. Importantly the software should allow you to export your data in a common file form such as a CSV file. You must be able to export your information to a common spread sheet easily whenever you want to.
- All of your contacts should be able to get an auto responder email from you. Make sure that the software you use integrates with some auto responder email service. That process will save you a lot of time in sending the right information to the right people when a new or fresh listing comes onto the market.
If you keep a good database and make more calls every day to new people, you will find the market open up for you in many different ways. It takes time, but you manage your time anyway; so you know where the secret is to agent success in this industry. Good luck with your systems.
You can get more tips like this in our Newsletter.