In commercial real estate brokerage, growth is good in so many ways. If you want to move ahead in your property market then developing a ‘lust for growth’ is a good thing. There are many ways you can grow your business and property opportunities.
To get things started, understand just where you are today in your market and what changes are occurring locally that could indicate a different business focus. I like to move from sales to leasing and then back again as opportunities allow. From a lease you can create the foundations for a sale of the property when the investor is ready to make a move in that direction.
So let’s look at some of the opportunities for you now and what factors of the market that you can grow:
- Personal level – some agents fail to grow much at a personal level. By that I mean in skills, and knowledge relating to your property market. The greater the value that we are to the clients that we serve, the larger the chances are that we can convert more listings and improve our presentation outcomes. Clients want to work with the best agents that really know what they are doing and are highly skilled in doing so. There is absolutely no point in being ‘generic’ as an agent today.
- Signboards – getting more signboards into your market is a good thing. The traditional signboard will create more enquiries for you. By this I am referring to the signs placed on ‘exclusive listings’. To get more signs on the quality local properties you should look at your prospecting model and escalate it to the next level of activity and specialisation.
- Listings – to build your commission opportunities it pays to work on a certain number of exclusive listings at any one time. Generally you will not have time to service more than 15 listings like this. Keep your listing numbers down but spend a good level of focus in doing so. Take every quality property to the market in a comprehensive way. Use the listings to get people talking and to share their property situation.
- Internet profile – we all use the internet to market properties. That being said you can have a blog on the internet at a personal level that lets you talk about property activity and industry changes in your local area. Today it is really essential that we go beyond property marketing and take our own profile to the online world. Use the blog to show the market place just how relevant and knowledgeable you are as a top property specialist. If you blog regularly (at least 3 times per week), the search engines will soon see your blog as something that they should link to and watch.
- Database – your database will bring you leads and opportunities if you follow the rules. Every day your database should be expanded and updated through personal effort. To do this effectively you can and should make the start of everyday a process of prospecting for new people.
These four simple growth factors will help you greatly as a real estate agent. Create the action and focus in each of the segments of ‘growth potential’. Soon the market will see your activities and give you more leads.