In commercial real estate today, there is no need to complicate the sales pitch or presentation for the listing. Keep things simple in all respects. That being said you still need a plan to get the message through.
Most property owners and investors want the clear facts and solid recommendations that can help them with the property challenge. That is why generic pitches are a total waste of time. A full 95% of the presentation should be about the property and the client as you know it. The other 5% can be about your business and the relevance you bring to the listing.
To create a presentation about the property at such a high level you really do need to know the local property market and the trends over recent time. You should also know the subject property and the strengths and weaknesses of the improvements and location as you see them.
Here is a summary of approach to plan your presentation. Given the property type and the needs of the client, structure your presentation around the base model of:
- Tell them briefly who you are and why you are there (only do this if they do not know much about you and keep it very short)
- Tell them about the facts that you will be covering and why (overview only)
- Give them the facts. Tell them about the key issues in clear and concise points (substantial and detailed information)
- Give them relevant recommendations and alternatives (people like to have choices) relating to the previous point.
- Tell them what you have told them and summarise it (short summary)
- Ask for the business (be prepared for the answers you could get!)
As you move through these stages the client will give you an indication of their focus and concerns through questions and comments. When you can see what they are concerned about you can open up on the relevant points. Local property market knowledge can help you here.
The best listing pitch today needs to take into account the challenges of the property market locally and then regionally. Understand the pressures that people are operating under and then adjust your skills and knowledge around those facts.
It takes time to list, promote, negotiate, and close on a commercial or retail property. The business owners and the property investors that we work with are quick to enquire but slow to make a decision. That is why you need to be at the top of your game to encourage the enquiry momentum and property transaction.
Most clients and prospects in commercial and retail real estate want to make a decision, but they will only do so when the right facts and strategies are provided to them. If you fail on a listing or sales pitch, it is because you have not fully aligned yourself and your pitch to the client or prospect; that is the simple fact.