In commercial real estate agency, the sales team can be a powerful force in the market if the team works together. The disciplines of sales, leasing, and property management all require special people with special skills. As the properties that you work on become more complex, the team involvement process will help all your presentations and sales pitches.
So you can have either of these situations in your real estate agency:
- You can have a group of top salespeople that all do their own thing in marketing, prospecting, and listing.
- You can have a group of top salespeople and agency staff that are industry and property specialists and that pull together on the bigger listings to strengthen the service and coverage.
If I was a commercial real estate client today I know what I would prefer from the agency, and on that basis I would choose the second approach in granting an agent the listing. If you focus on quality listings, the property may just be so special and unique that you cannot do everything on your own. Bring other team members around you to help the sales pitch and the listing conversion.
Here are a few things that can help the team approach:
- A leasing opportunity is a reason to get your top property managers involved to review and address blow outs in property operational costs, lease documents, or tenancy mix. Over time this extra service will help you convert a property management listing.
- A leasing opportunity will help you with the client relationship and open the door on a potential sale at the right time.
- Property management appointments will create new business leads and deals in leasing and sales. Over time, the services and staff in your property management division should be of the highest quality to preserve and protect the future sale or lease requirements. Choose your property management staff wisely so they can protect this portion of your agency business. Use your property management staff as part of every pitch on quality property locally.
- Whilst you may be seeking just a sales listing appointment for your property, have your ‘marketing coordinators’ from your agency attend the listing presentation to give specialist comment on just how the marketing will work and where the enquiry is coming from today. Use graphs of response levels shown in the current promotional categories of website, internet, email, direct marketing, signboards, flyers, and cold calling. Use your database as leverage in the discussion.
It is not hard to win a commercial or retail real estate listing if you work as a team and use the skills of each person as the specialists that they are. Get your best people involved in your presentations.