In commercial real estate agency, you will come across many people every day with various interests in commercial and retail property. Some may have an interest in selling, buying, or leasing. This then says that we need to be versatile when it comes to dialogue and communication. In a short period of time you need to impress the other person with significance as an agent.
To help you here, you can develop a very simple 2 minutes sales pitch. In many respects, you only have a short period of time to connect with the required people and convey a clear message of how you can help them. Confidence and relevance needs to be shown as part of that connection.
As a general rule, this short 2 minute connection should tell the client or the prospect what you do and how that will benefit them. Remember the old saying, ‘What’s in it for me?’ You should try to answer that as part of connecting with new people.
It is not sufficient to say:
- I lease commercial real estate.
- I market and sell commercial real estate.
- I manage shopping centres.
All of these things do little to show that you really are a relevant property specialist. You could take these phrases and improve them as follows:
- I lease commercial real estate locally for landlords that require quality tenants. I do that by staying in close contact with the most active and sizeable tenants in the region.
- I market and sell commercial real estate for property investors. I do that by tracking all the recent property deals and upcoming opportunity both off market and on market.
- I manage shopping centres locally for major property investors. I do that by optimising tenant mix and rental returns.
You can take simple statements like these and turn them into something that works for you. Tell and show a prospect how you are real and relevant. Give them a reason to work with you or at least listen to you.
This simple process helps you in a number of ways:
- It makes you stand out as someone that is a specialist in the local property market.
- It can be an icebreaker in a new contact with a prospect.
- It helps them see what they can get from you if all other property issues are aligned.
- It helps you win listings.
Communication in our industry is a large part of finding the right people and moving them to a meeting of some type. Meetings then can open the door on listings or sourcing properties. The simple ‘two minute sales pitch’ helps you attract the prospects attention in a relevant way.