Personal branding in commercial real estate is quite important. At a personal level you can be a ‘cool brand’, and that by definition is someone that is good to know and an expert in their field of real estate and in the location. On that basis clients and prospects will seek you out at the ‘go to person’ for solving property problems. You could say that you then have real ‘market attraction’.
This image will help you with listings and growth of market share. Are you up to the challenge? Let’s look at this a bit more.
So how do you create this very special image as a top agent and expert in your field? Prospecting will help you a lot, but in saying that you can add some rules and processes to the prospecting process. There is no point in being ordinary in our industry as you will just fade into the already large group of other brokers and agents; every listing pitch will then be a competitive event. Consider these alternatives:
- Ideas person – many properties and clients will be unique and challenging. For that reason you can be an ‘ideas’ person to help solve the complex property situation facing the client. Every exclusive listing should be handled with a high degree of creativity in marketing and promotion.
- Great negotiator – some properties are challenging as to the complexity of the sales contract or property lease. Make sure you have enough knowledge to build the negotiation momentum for your client. Any hurdles to the marketing of the property should have been resolved early in the property listing process. Preparation is the key to resolving negotiation issues.
- Solution provider – some of your competitors will be quite ‘generic’ when it comes to marketing a property and establishing a campaign. Your solutions must be better than all the other agents; that’s how you can convert exclusive listings much more effectively.
- Stand out in a crowded market – to help you stand out in your area and sales territory get plenty of sign boards into your zone. As a priority make sure your signs are more effective in placement and detail. That will mean some vendor paid funds to take the listing to the market.
- Commitment to task – many clients will talk of ‘agents that have failed them’. The fact of the matter is that the generic support for clients with their property today will be of little benefit in converting a sale or lease. If a property is special then you should provide special ideas and momentum to the promotion process. You can only do that when the client has given you an exclusive listing. Can you convert more exclusive listings? If not, why not? Set yourself a challenge to list only exclusive listings of a quality nature.
When you review these points, apply them to your own personal marketing profile. How do you match the image? Can you do better?